Presented in collaboration with The Envelope Room
Lead by Design is a 1 week intensive creative bursary available for theatre designers from all visual disciplines (set, costume, lighting and video).
We have a unique opportunity for designers! We are offering 3 bursaries for designers to spend an intensive week developing an idea they have for a design led, site inspired piece of work.
Designers rarely get to lead the process, this is an opportunity for you to take and idea you have and use our bursary of £2000 to develop your idea into a seed. This intensive week is for you if:
- You are interested in creating design led work.
- Have a passion for creating work in non theatre spaces.
- Are willing to commit to a full intensive week of developing your idea.
As the creative lead you will be given a budget and mentoring support. Selected creatives will begin the work together in a short workshop and reconnect at the end of the week where we will share a snippet of what we have developed and support each other to consider the next steps.
Who is this for?
This intensive week is for designers who have an idea they wish to develop as the lead artist.
Please ensure you read the information below before applying. You must be available on the dates specified.
- Please answer the following questions and email your application to email@example.com
- Please tell us briefly about yourself and experience as a professional practitioner. (200 words max or alternatively submit a CV).
- Please give an outline of the idea you would like to develop? (400-500 words max).
- Do you have a space in mind for your project?
- If you wish you can include up to 3 images, which represent your project (please submit them as jpegs and be mindful of the size!).
- What excites you about this opportunity? (200 words approx).
Your final submission should be no more than 2 A4 pages.
Deadline for applications: Midnight on Sunday 15th March. Successful applicants will be informed by Friday 20th March.
April 20th – afternoon
Monday 4th May – 8th May (more detail below)
Further information/Supporting Questions:
Do I have to have a certain number of years experience to apply?
We are not asking for a certain number of years experience. All we ask is that you are able to provide proof that you are working or have worked as a designer for performance.